Student visa conditions

Overseas Student Health Cover

All international students are required by the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) to maintain Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their student visa.

The OSHC premium cover must be paid before a student visa is issued – usually at the same time as the tuition fees. The cost of OSHC will be indicated on your letter of offer. OSHC is also charged on a pro-rata basis for shorter courses.

OSHC contributes to the cost of medical expenses while in Australia. Overseas student health cover (OSHC) is a health insurance that provides cover on the costs for medical and hospital care which international students may need while in Australia. OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport. In general, the OSHC entitles you to free hospital cover and 85% of standard doctor’s fees.

Central Australian College preferred health provider is BUPA.  If you have requested OSHC through CAC, we will organize this for you. BUPA website also provides valuable information in Overseas Health Cover for Students.

Overseas Student Health Cover

You can refer to this website to find out precise information on:

    • The range of services covered by this provider
    • What reimbursements you may be entitled to
    • The location where you can meet representatives
    • Application forms
    • How to lodge a claim

Our International Support Officers can assist you with procedures for ordering your membership card online, or advice on lodging applications.

If you require emergency medical attention, public hospital emergency departments are available.

If you require medication, pharmacies or chemists are the place to go. In Australia, pharmacists are not able to given certain medications unless prescriptions are available from the doctor. Therefore, it is important to see the doctor to obtain certain medications.

You can find out more about purchasing OSHC at the Department of Health website.

Full Time Study

Australian law requires International students to study a full time study load. A full-time study load is normally a minimum of 20 hours per week for at least 40 weeks each calendar year or continuous 12-month period.


International students are required to meet their attendance requirement. If your attendance drops below 80% over any study period the College is required to review your involvement, counsel you, implement an intervention strategy. If your attendance falls below the 80% attendance and you have unsatisfactory academic progress you will be reported to DOHA.

Academic Progress

If you do not have satisfactory academic progress you will be reported to DOHA which will lead to cancellation of your visa. Unsatisfactory academic progress is defined in the ESOS legislation as failing more than 50% of units in any two consecutive study periods. A study period is one term (10 weeks) of the academic year. The academic year consists of a total of four terms. A failure in more than 50% of units in one study period will trigger a review of academic progress by the Institute and the implementation of an intervention strategy. Failing a unit means being assessed as “Not Yet Competent” for a completed unit.
In order to have the best chance of maintaining satisfactory progress you must:
* Attend all theory and practical classes and pay attention to the work and activities undertaken in class
* Study the theory and practice the skills that are taught in class
* Ensure that you are present for all assessment activities scheduled by the teachers
* Make an appointment with the student contact officer if you are having any difficulties with your studies

In addition to the above minimum requirement the Institute will implement counselling procedures and an intervention strategy when your teachers think you may be in danger of not meeting the requirements. Counselling and intervention may be triggered by any of the following events:
* Failing key units in a study period
* Failing two or more core units in any study period

Change of Address

Upon arriving in Australia you are required to advise the Institute of your residential address and telephone number and of any subsequent changes to your residential address. This is extremely important. Under Section 20 of the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 the Institute is obliged to serve a notice at your last known address if you breach a student visa condition relating to attendance or academic performance. The Institute may also send warning notices to you which are aimed at helping prevent breaches of your visa conditions. It is your responsibility and in your own interests to ensure that you always update your address details at the Institute to ensure you receives important information about your course, fees and possible breaches of your student visa.

You may also find additional information on student visa issues which is available on the DOHA website at